At Birthright, we recognize that an unexpected pregnancy affects all the people involved – including men. If she is or thinks she might be pregnant, we know there are a lot of emotions each of you are experiencing.
Here’s some quick advice that may benefit you right now:
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you, and she is just as concerned as you are. There are potentially three lives to think about.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be the one who is pregnant, but you are BOTH involved, and regardless of your relationship in the future, this includes you, too.
- Talk about it. Talk not only with each other but prepare to talk with your parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the amount of stress you’re feeling.
- Gather all the facts. Learn all the information and seek wise counsel from people you trust so that you can make the best decision for both of you.
- Express yourself honestly. It’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration, and fear. But it’s important you make sure she knows she is not alone.
- Bail. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away and cause the decision-making process to be more difficult. It will benefit you both to work together as a team.
- Forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as provide your thoughts.
Whatever you might be feeling about this situation, it’s okay to feel it. Then, it’s time to make a decision based on the facts. If you don’t know what to do next or need someone to process things with, Birthright is by your side. Give us a call today at 301-570-3339.